Thursday, September 3, 2009

Columbus Zoo

We had really been looking forward to going to the Columbus Zoo while we were here. It's Jack Hanna's zoo so we had high hopes! We decided to go ahead and get out annual passes a couple of weeks ago. So now whenever anyone comes to visit, we can take them there!

First we rushed over to see the baby elephant who was adorable! He was born in March and I'm pretty sure I could have watched him all day long!

Then we got to see this pretty tiger...

Then we took a self-portrait in front of the lion's den.

Then we visited the reptile section and monkey area, both of which I think are disgusting so I won't share those pictures.

Then we were on to the manatees which I was thoroughly excited about. However, they had just gotten a big breath of air so all they did was this:

After the energetic manatees, we saw this area of the zoo that was completely empty. So we walked over and it appeared to be an older part that they no longer use. There were stages and abandoned concession stands. Then past that, there was the boardwalk on the river! It was so nice and quiet there. I think it was one of my favorite spots. This is what was going on...

And it was time for another self-portrait.


The kangaroos were quite interesting. Not the actual animals but the manner in which they were enclosed. They weren't. We had to walk through two sets of doors so they couldn't get out of their space but then the kangaroos were just out and about. Mostly they were sleeping and/or laying down but people were just walking around (there was a path to stay on).

And finally my absolute favorite area. The Bears...

Waylon had to make me leave from the bear area. It was so much fun to watch them "play" and splash in the water.
Other highlights from our day at the zoo include:
  • seeing a grown man sit in a child's stroller while waiting for his family.
  • eating a funnel cake that turned out NOT to be worth the calories/fat/carbs/etc.
  • discovering my hatred for strollers in crowded spaces (I know they're necessary but the triplet strollers are quite annoying when they are parked in the walk-way and a line is forming behind them just to get through).
  • visiting the reptile area during feeding time...not on my list of things to do again in life.
  • wanting to go on the $1 boat rides but not wanting to wait in the superlong line.
  • trying to Call the Hogs at the hog exhibit but having an embarrassed husband that wouldn't participate.
All in all, we had a fun day. The weather was a little on the cool side but we'd rather it be cool that hot and humid.
Now, who wants to come visit??

1 comment:

  1. Yay! Avery wants to see the baby elephant! She will be in her stroller, but I won't block the sidewalk.

    ReplyDelete