Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Lake Erie

Saturday we loaded up the Tahoe and went on a road trip. We were hoping to see some of the pretty fall colors but it must be too early in the season. There were a few trees that had changed but not a lot. But we mainly wanted to go up to Lake Erie. We found a lighthouse online that was a couple of hours away. We had big plans to get up and leave by 9am. In Walburn time, that means 12:45. Then we realized that the only cooler we had was huge and we just needed a small one. So we went to CVS (my favorite) but they don't have coolers. So we stopped at Giant Eagle (a grocery store) and they only had styrofoam coolers so that is what we got. They actually sell the cheap foam coolers for $9.99. Those were the fancy ones with a handle. We got the one without a handle for $4. Oh, I miss Walmart sometimes. Sometimes.

The trip up was okay. There is not a direct interstate to where we were going (on Sandusky Bay) so we took little state highways through all these little towns. And no cell phone reception. I asked Waylon if people in those towns even had cell phones because really, what's the point?

There's a lot of corn in Ohio. I didn't really realize that. Corn doesn't make road trips all that exciting. I'm just saying...

So Max and I did a lot of this.

We ended up getting to Lake Erie around 3:30. Now I know why my dad always made us get up at 7am on Saturday mornings to go on those lovely day trips.







Max got to play in the water. He found out on his first Great Lakes experience that the rocks are slippery. And that the water is freshwater. He drank SO much water!


Then we drove about 5 miles north and went to this little beach and park area. We had a picnic but it was so windy and cold! We ate quickly and got back in the truck!


Kelley's Island - we didn't take the ferry over. I think they run earlier in the day and we weren't sure about taking Max so we didn't even try.



Dogs aren't allowed on the beach/swim area so Max had to stay up on the rocks. We went down to the beach and it was nice. I'm sure it's crowded in the summer but not too many people were there Saturday (okay, us and one other girl). The water actually wasn't cold. It wasn't what I would call warm but it was warmer than I expected. The tempature was about 59 degrees when we were there. Someone complained a lot. And it was not me.


Then Max slept the whole. way. home. He was so worn out. We love him! :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment