Monday, August 16, 2010

The Rest of the Week in the Hospital

**Most of this is just details for our family's memory**

Because I had Mackenzie after midnight Wednesday morning, I had to stay at the hospital until the following Sunday!  It wasn't too bad because I was being taken care of and so was Mackenzie.  Waylon, on the other hand, probably did more work and was busier than if he was at work!  :-)


First diaper change

We got settled into our room Wednesday morning around 3am and then got some sleep until our beautiful baby was brought to us around 5am.  We were so excited to see her and then we were finally able to share her NAME! 


We waited until my mom was able to hold her before we told her the name and then we called Waylon's parents on Skype to tell them.  However, Waylon's dad was already gone for work, so his mom got to see Mackenzie and we got to share her name with her.

Mom's first time holding Mackenzie...after a very long night!


For those of you wondering, we both picked out the name Mackenzie because we both just liked it.  As far as the middle name, I've always liked the idea of taking the mom's maiden name and making it a middle name.  However, with Black, it's not so cute!  So we changed it to Blake and used it.  We did a LOT of thinking and discussing about the middle name because it's a "boy name" (which is funny because I'm not a big fan of using it for a boy!).



Grandma Jewel's hat she made for Mackenzie


I wasn't able to eat anything Wednesday except for clear liquids.  Finally "nourishment" came in the evening and left me a turkey sandwich!!!  I had been wanting lunch meat for 9 months!!!  It was so yummy!!  (and I think I had a turkey sandwich every day I was in the hospital for either lunch or dinner!)


Wednesday night Veronica, Carlos, and Juliana came to visit us.  Veronica had left before they brought Mackenzie to the room that morning so she hadn't been able to hold her yet (she did get to watch them bathe her through the nursery window with my mom...bless her heart, I think she stayed until about 3am!!).  Juliana is so cute with babies!!  They brought us some brownies (the same kind that we ate the entire container while we babysat Juliana...haha), magazines, and snacks.

The pediatrician came while Veronica was here (of course) and checked Mackenzie out.  He said she looked good and passed all of her exams.  :-)


By Friday morning our little angel had lost more than 10 percent of her body weight so we had to start supplementing with formula.  She weighed 8 pounds, 8 ounces when she was born on Wednesday and by Friday she weighed 7 pounds, 9 ounces. 



Shawna, Jill and Traci also came to visit us!  It was so nice of our Abbott friends to come meet Mackenzie!

My mom never left the hospital the entire time we were there!  She would go to the cafeteria or the gift shops for a little while to give us time alone (and to warm up!) but she was a trooper and stayed with us for six days.  She and Waylon slept on the couch in my room every night.  It was long enough for them to each have an end to sleep on...and actually stretch out. 

Mom sleeping and trying to stay warm!  She really is under all those blankets!

The last few months of my pregnancy, I had PUPPP which should have gone away after delivery.  By Saturday it was still bad so the doctor seeing me in place of Dr. Sayat (he went out of town after he delivered Mackenzie) ordered me a shot so I didn't have to wear the "support stockings" for bloodclots anymore and some bloodwork that would be for reference for future pregnancies.  I had to go 12 hours without eating OR drinking so they scheduled the bloodwork for 5am Sunday.  I was STARVING and woke up shaking uncontrollably around 4am.  I was freezing.  I managed to wake Waylon up and he put four blankets on me and got in bed with me to keep me warm.  I had a little bit of a fever so that meant more bloodwork and the possibility of not getting to go home Sunday!  The lab person (for the fasting bloodwork) finally arrived at 8am.  I was NOT a happy camper...especially when my breakfast arrived around 7am.  The second round of bloodwork came back fine so we were scheduled to leave on Sunday.

Around 2pm, they hadn't told us yet if we could leave, but we showered and had our whole room packed up and were ready to go when the nurse came in to tell us we were being discharged!   

Hoping and preparing to go home

We had several good nurses but our favorite was named Young.  She was so sweet and would get so excited for me over little things that I know she sees everyday with every patient. 

Young and I

So we finally left the hospital around 4pm on Sunday, August 1. 
FAMILY OF THREE

Going home!

1 comment:

  1. I guess I'll leave u a comment on every post, hehehe!
    I love her name so much! And also how u wrote about the middle name being a boys name. I love it! I did the same thing, too. Kira Shawn, named after her daddy's middle name but he spells his Sean, so I did change that to make it more girlie.
    I also had PUPPP, and u are the only other person I know that had it. Weird, I got it with Kira only, and its supposedly supposed to happen only in 1st pregnancies, and I did not get it with Austin.
    And I gotta ask about your turkey sandwich! U said u been wanting lunch meat for 9 months, did u not eat any during ur pregnancy?? haha Just curious! Wasn't sure if u meant u couldn't eat it, or if u craved it everyday while pregnant.
    It's great u had good nurses take care of u. I hated mine when I had Kira. They were so rude, and they don't do pain pumps at Sparks, and the stupid nurses wouldn't give me any pain meds unless I begged, and then only gave me 1 when the dr said to give me 2. They wondered why I didn't want to get out of bed and walk the halls! Ugh!! I'll never use the L&D there again! No plans for that anyways! I don't think I would've made it there as long as u had to stay. I'd really like to hear your story about the painful surgery too. So sorry that happened to you.

    ReplyDelete