Saturday, March 27, 2010

Rocking Chair

I just wanted to share one of the special things we've been saving for baby girl.


My Daddy was rocked in this chair as a baby.  My brother and I were rocked in it and now our baby girl will be rocked in it.    My Uncle Tom reupholstered it last year and gave it to us as a wedding gift from my grandparents. 



After we get our other piece of furniture, I'm hoping it still fits in the room! 

It's actually very comfortable, although it may not look that way.  Tom gave it to us a couple weeks before the wedding so it was in our living room at our old house before we moved.  Frankie came over and kind of looked at it like "why do you have that?" and then he sat in it.  He was pleasantly surprised!  I'm going to have to get a couple of pillows or throws to put over the arms for padding but that's okay...we LOVE it! 

We're still undecided on whether we will get an additional glider for downstairs.  We probably will just for convenience. 

I only have a few things from my grandmother, but I love them all dearly!  My grandmother passed away while my dad was in high school so obviously I never met her.  My uncle refinished her cedar Hope Chest and gave it to me for my college graduation.  He also gave me two of her rings...her engagement ring which I left the original size (um, tiny!) and a cocktail ring that I had sized to wear.  I wore it on our wedding day as my "something old."  And now we have her rocking chair.  I cherish everything I have from her and my grandfather so I cannot wait to hold our baby girl in their chair!

1 comment:

  1. Did Tom ever tell you about the first time he reupholstered it? I was sitting there looking at it and I noticed he had half of it on backwards! He didn't even know until I told him...it was pretty funny :)

    ReplyDelete